Ginger Pumpkin Soup
A delicious soup that is a perfect fall menu addition or a great Thanksgiving starter.
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- ¼ onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium (2½ pounds) pumpkin, seeded, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes (for cooking)
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 4 small pumpkins (for serving bowls)
- ¼ cup double cream
- Parsley for garnish
- In a large cooking pot, cook carrots and onion in oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the pumpkin cubes, ginger, salt and pepper, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes, until the pumpkin begins to soften.
- Pour in the chicken broth and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Let simmer 30-40 minutes until the vegetables are very tender.
- Place the cooked vegetables into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Cut the tops off the small pumpkins to create small soup bowls. Hollow the pumpkins, ensuring that no holes are made in the outer shell.
- To serve, transfer the soup into the individual carved out pumpkin bowls.
- Top each soup serving with a dollop of double cream and create a swirl by running the tip of a spoon through the dollop in a swirling motion.
- Garnish with parsley.
PREP TIME: 30 minutes
COOKING TIME: 1 hour